The profile of Science is high at Hawkinge Primary School; we work hard to make sure it is investigative, hands-on and fun!
Children engage in termly Science topics where they are given the chance to ask their own scientific questions and work scientifically to explore new learning. We aim to run a termly Science Club which is in high demand due to the nature of the exciting experiments that take place! Hawkinge Primary has recently been accredited a ‘Primary Science Quality Mark’ award at Gold level, meaning that not only does high-quality Science teaching and learning take place in our school, but our knowledge is shared beyond our school too!
“I have seen throughout the evidence submitted that the children at Hawkinge have a true love of science.”
“It is clear from the evidence submitted that Science is valued and important to the whole school community and beyond.”
“A Gruffalo workshop, visits from the Science Boffins, a Science Circus, what a busy and fun filled year you have all had.”
(Assessor of the Primary Science Quality Mark)
We believe Science is most effective when:
- Science is interesting, colourful and fun.
- Science involves working together as a team to find things out.
- Science is child-led and encourages children to ask open-ended questions.
- Science involves using a range of exciting resources to carry out investigations.
- Science is cross-curricular.
- Science is carried out, outside of the classroom.
- Science involves making predictions, drawing conclusions and discussion.
- Science is challenging
On our school Facebook Page, Miss Pearson has posted lots of fun science experiment videos to try at home! Don’t forget to bring in or comment with your photographs to show Miss Pearson if you have a go!
Our Picture Gallery contains lots of photos of activities carried out at Science Club, in Science lessons and during British Science Week!