Safeguarding for Parents

Child Protection Concerns – A Quick Guide for Parents Reporting Child Protection Concerns in Kent

Keeping children safe is everybody’s business
If you think a child is being abused or mistreated or you have concerns about a child’s well-being you should call and speak to someone at one of the following numbers:

  • Specialist Children’s Services, Central Duty Team – 03000 41 11 11
  • Police emergency: 999
  • NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000, email , text 88858 (free service), or complete online form

There are 4 different types of categories of abuse. These are:
• Physical abuse
• Sexual abuse
• Emotional abuse
• Neglect

Physical Abuse: When an adult deliberately hurts you such as punching, hitting, kicking, shaking, throwing, poisoning, burning, drowning or suffocating.

Emotional Abuse: An example of this would be when you are constantly being criticised, humiliated or unfairly blamed for things, or told you are stupid and made to feel worthless and unhappy. In other instances you may be completely ignored.

Neglect: This is where you are not being looked after properly, cared for or fed. You may not for example, be given enough to eat, or may be left alone for long periods of time, sometimes in scary or dangerous situations.

Sexual Abuse: This is inappropriate sexual language or behaviour by an adult. For example, forcing you to pose for rude photographs or take part in sexual activities.

All calls concerning worries about children are treated seriously. You will be asked where the child lives and who looks after the child. Enquires will be made immediately. If it is found that a child is being abused or is at risk of significant harm professionals will work together with the family to ensure that the child can be protected.

If you are in any doubt about reporting your concerns don’t think ‘What if I’m wrong?’ think ‘What if I’m right?’

For further information about safeguarding, please click here on the Parent Info website and here on our Online Safety webpage.