At Hawkinge Primary School we are fortunate to have a very strong and supportive governing body. Click here to find about more about them.
School Governors, Roles and Responsibilities
School governors are drawn from different parts of the community and can be parents and staff or from the LA, the community and other groups. This helps ensure the governing body has sufficient diversity of views and experience but does not mean governors of a particular category represent that group on the governing body. For example, parent governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
Roles and Responsibilities
The governing body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. Its responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• setting targets for pupil achievement
• managing the school’s finances
• making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
• appointing staff
• reviewing staff performance and pay.
Roles of governor
The governing body must appoint a chair and vice-chair and may wish to make a number of other specific appointments to lead on certain aspects of the school.
Committees of the governing body
The governing body can delegate certain of its responsibilities to committees or individual governors. The Finance Committee meets on a termly basis. This is the only additional committee.
Types of governor
• Parent governors: selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school
• Staff governors: selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
• Co-opted governors: appointed by the governing body on the basis of skills and experience
• Authority governors: appointed by the local authority
• Associate members (not governors): appointed by the governing body to attend committee meetings and/or full governing body meetings due to their particular skills or experience.